Raw Chorizo Sausage
New York Style Sausage Co. Recalls Raw Chorizo Sausage Products due to Misbranding and an Undeclared Ingredient
Class II Recall 077-2018
Health Risk: Low Sep 5, 2018
Congressional and Public Affairs
WASHINGTON, Sept. 5, 2018 – New York Style Sausage Co., a Sunnyvale, Calif. establishment, is recalling approximately 371 pounds of raw chorizo sausage products due to misbranding, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today. The product contains sesame seed, which is not declared on the product label.
The raw, Salvadoran chorizo sausage items were produced on June 8, 2018. The following products are subject to recall: [View Labels (PDF only)]
- 8-oz. cardboard packages containing “Artesana Specialty Sausages CHORIZO SALVADORAN RECIPE ALL NATURAL.” The product is labeled “Keep refrigerated or frozen” and does not bear a use by or sell by date.
The products subject to recall bear establishment number “EST. 9027” inside the USDA mark of inspection. These items were sold at farmers markets in California.
The problem was discovered by FSIS during routine inspection label verification activities.
There have been no confirmed reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of these products. Anyone concerned about an injury or illness should contact a healthcare provider.
FSIS is concerned that some product may be in consumers’ freezers or refrigerators. Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them. These products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase.
FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks to verify that recalling firms are notifying their customers of the recall and that actions are being taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to consumers.
Consumers and members of the media with questions about the recall can contact Pasquale Bitonti, vice president of New York Sausage Co., at (408) 745-7675.
Consumers with food safety questions can "Ask Karen," the FSIS virtual representative available 24 hours a day at AskKaren.gov or via smartphone at m.askkaren.gov. The toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) is available in English and Spanish and can be reached from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday. Recorded food safety messages are available 24 hours a day. The online Electronic Consumer Complaint Monitoring System can be accessed 24 hours a day at: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/reportproblem.
* We believe that none of the product being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/recalls-and-public-health-alerts/recall-case-archive/archive/2018/recall-077-2018-release
If you have questions regarding this recall, please contact the contact person that is listed in the recall notice.
back to recalls list