Who is Feeding America and what is Hunger Study 2014?
Feeding America, a non-profit organization, feeds America’s hungry through its network of approximately 200 regional food banks and engages the country in the fight to end hunger. The Feeding America network has conducted the Hunger in America study approximately every four years since 1993. Data collected through the Hunger in America study has and will continue to be used to advocate for government assistance for hunger relief programs as well as to support fundraising efforts by educating the public about the scope of services provided by food banks.
As in previous years, the success of Hunger in America 2014 will rely on volunteers to conduct the Hunger Study’s Client Survey. Between April and August 2013, the Client Survey will be administered across the country, including in the Central Pennsylvania Food Bank’s service area, which covers 27 counties in central Pennsylvania. For the first time ever, client survey data will be collected online using hand-held devices. Volunteers are needed to assist with this client data collection.
- Attending a mandatory training session
- Traveling to agency sites with a lead volunteer and other Hunger Study volunteers
- Setting up the online survey at the agency sites
- Following a specific sampling plan to identify clients to participate in the survey
- Interacting with clients during the research process
- Addressing questions about the Hunger Study and the Client Survey
This volunteer position is open to individuals at least 18 years of age. The ability to speak Spanish is not required but would be ideal.
- Be willing to visit a minimum of five different sites anytime between April and August 2013. The client survey schedule will be released sometime this spring. Volunteers will be able to schedule themselves online for agency sites that work best for their schedule.
- Possess strong computer and internet skills
- Be able to communicate effectively with diverse populations
- Be comfortable approaching clients and asking them to complete the survey to share their experience
- Exercise discretion and show sensitivity with clients
- Be enthusiastic, flexible, and patient
How to apply
If you are interested in participating in the Hunger in America Client Survey data collection, please register online or contact Sarah McCree at 717-564-1700 ext. 3035.