The Central Pennsylvania Food Bank is a life-sustaining operation. Our staff is still working and we are fully operational getting food delivered to our neighbors in need. If you are facing food insecurity, use our Find Food page to find the nearest agency partner near you or call 717-547-6336 for more information.
The Central Pennsylvania Food Bank is committed to meeting the elevated need that we believe will be developing as the COVID-19 situation continues, and we want our communities to know that the health of our clients, employees, volunteers, and other friends are our top priority.
This page will be updated regularly due to the speed of COVID-19 developments, so please review it periodically for changes. Our Team is monitoring this situation continuously.
HELP US PREPARE FOR THE INCREASED NEED?
Help us ensure that our network of partner agencies remains strong and we are able to distribute healthy, nutritious food to some of the most vulnerable populations, including children and seniors throughout our 27 central Pennsylvania counties. A $1 donation can help us provide 6 meals.
How will COVID-19 precautions affect the operations of the Food Bank?
The Central Pennsylvania Food Bank has implemented new procedures at our Harrisburg and Williamsport Healthy Food Hubs to minimize the risk of exposure.
- Cleaning procedures have been enhanced. The safety of our food and our people have always been a top priority in our mission, but we have added specific procedures to combat COVID-19 and other risks. Using proven effective solutions, we are making rounds multiple times a day wiping door handles, light switches, warehouse carts, equipment, and flat surfaces. We have also mandated our cleaning company to perform enhanced disinfection procedures when they are on site.
- New protocols for volunteers will be implemented immediately. (See below)
- We will produce overstock inventory for our box programs to support modified partner agency distribution tactics and to ensure smooth supply if any daily volunteer shifts experience significant cancellations.
How will our COVID-19 precautions affect volunteers?
- Volunteerism is critical to the core mission of the Central Pennsylvania Food Bank and our partner agencies. Since volunteer needs are changing daily, please sign-up on our website and we will contact you as soon as possible.
- All external leaders of volunteer groups will receive advance COVID-19 instructions prior to their scheduled visits and all volunteers will hear a COVID-19 statement at the beginning of each session.
- All volunteers must sign a waiver affirming that they have not exhibited any symptoms within the past 14 days, or been in contact with someone who has. The waiver on this website is a SAMPLE waiver only. Volunteers must sign the waiver given to them by our staff.
- Volunteer coordinators will monitor for visible signs of any illness (though symptoms of illness do not always present visibly) and graciously require impacted volunteers to exit to ensure group safety.
- Volunteer group sizes will be optimized to ensure appropriate physical distancing, with no group exceeding 10 volunteers.
- All volunteers must wash their hands for at least 20 seconds before beginning their shift.
- Additional hand sanitizer dispensers will be placed in several areas for use during their project.
- Any volunteer who steps away from the line must re-wash their hands before resuming.
- Gloves will be required for any produce packing projects.
- The packing of bulk materials such as spices, rice, or pasta will be suspended.