When can I volunteer?
- Volunteers are needed Monday through Friday. Evening and weekend hours vary. Please call ahead to set up volunteer opportunities.
- All volunteer experiences must be scheduled in advance.
How old do I have to be volunteer?
- For safety reasons, the minimum age to volunteer is 12. Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
Where can I put my personal belongings?
- Limited storage space is available but we encourage you not to bring any personal belongings.
- We do have a coat closet for outerwear.
What should I wear?
- You MUST wear closed-toe shoes (no sandals, flip-flops or opened-toe shoes are permitted) and clothing you don’t mind getting dirty.
- Dress comfortably and respectfully.
- Layers are recommended as the temperature in the warehouse fluctuates.
Where can I eat?
- You may eat any snacks or lunches in our kitchen areas, which can accommodate all group sizes.
Where do I park?
- If space permits, you may park in the front.
- You may be directed to a lot adjacent to the building.
Can I get proof of my volunteer time?
- Yes. Have your proof of participation sheet from your school/job etc. filled out prior to your arrival.
Can I take pictures?
- We recommend taking your group photos either right before or at the conclusion of your visit. A staff member will be happy to take the photo so everyone is included. If posting on social media outlet, please tag us.
What types of projects are available at the Healthy Food Hubs?
- Repacking food items are the most common volunteer opportunities at the Food Bank. The majority of the food that the Food Bank receives requires further processing before being distributed to those in need. Types of volunteer opportunities include: repacking bulk product to individual/family size, assembling boxes with assorted or like food, checking expiration dates, labeling product, gleaning products, etc. While projects are determined based on warehouse needs, all packing sessions are spent in the warehouse.
Do I need to bring anything when I volunteer?
- We will provide you with everything you need to complete your volunteer projects. We encourage you not to bring any personal belongings.
Can you accommodate volunteers with disabilities?
- Yes. Please contact our volunteer coordinators to discuss the accommodations you might need so we can set-up a successful volunteer experience. For volunteer opportunities at our Harrisburg location, please contact Chris Gray at 717.564.1700, ext.2342. For volunteer opportunities at our Williamsport location, please contact Jenelle Longacre at 570.321.8023.
What if I need to cancel my volunteer shift?
- If for some reason you can’t make your scheduled volunteer time, please let us know as soon as possible.
Where is the Central Pennsylvania Food Bank located?
- Harrisburg Branch: 3908 Corey Road, Harrisburg, PA 17109. Get Directions
- Williamsport Branch: 3301 Wahoo Drive, Williamsport, PA 17701. Get Directions
What counties does the Food Bank serve?
- Our Harrisburg location serves the following PA counties: Adams, Bedford, Blair, Centre, Clearfield, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Fulton, Huntingdon, Juniata, Lancaster, Lebanon, Mifflin, Northumberland, Perry, Snyder and York.
- Our Williamsport location serves the following counties in the Northern Tier of PA: Bradford, Clinton, Columbia, Lycoming, Montour, Northumberland, Potter, Sullivan, Tioga and Union.